Forum

Group Management  

RSS

Oftentimes group participants have had many experiences with treatment activities.  They also have an abundance of experience with therapists and social workers.  I find it useful to make it clear that their previous experiences will be different in Thinking Matters.  There are no "war stories" or platitudes.  No discussion of "off topic" subjects.

When it becomes clear that the facilitator understands what is unproductive, participants take the group more seriously.  They become more open and honest.  They develop a sincere curiousity for their own internal processes.

Many aproaches are directive and depend on facilitators/therapists to give clients the "answers".  Thinking Matters relies upon probing questions.  This teaches people to look for "answers" within themselves and not rely on others for self-centered.  

I have taken over female only groups for another facilitator.  I am finding that my approach is totally different and the ladies in my group are more comfortable with looking at their thoughts and feelings.  I encourage the group to discuss difficulties they are having with the worksheets and help one another.  It is sometimes difficult for the ladies to understand what the worksheets are looking for, as they were not aware that the decisions they made were based on thoughts and feelings at the time.  Also, when the group members change, sometimes the approach needs to change.  I feel facilitators need to be flexible with their approach to be more effective.

The interesting part about teaching Thinking Matters, it directs you to also look into yourself and changes can be made (however minor :-)). 

AGREED Marilyn!  That is an added bonus and what drives me to keep going. The better you become, the better you become for others.  Love wins!

Share:

Comments are closed.